Thursday, April 8, 2010

Vanishing Point

I found this movie to be interesting in numerous different ways. One of these ways would be that there isn't a whole lot to analyze to the movie; basically he just wants to go fast for not really any other reason then its fun. I like this plot because it's simple and to the point and because I did not buy my car I drive because it goes slow.

I was surprised that he had a moral as much as he did. Maybe it's because i'm used to other movies/games (like Grand Theft Auto) where people are much more corrupt. I thought the main character in this movie would have stolen a vehicle, killed a few people, and been so high on drugs he couldn't see straight however, it was almost the complete opposite. He instead never killed anyone, checked to see if some people were ok, helped people where he could, and didn't even steal the car. I liked to see that he was more of a good guy (his background made him especially seem like a great guy) but there was also that little part of me that had hoped he was going to be more of a rebel and do more things wrong then just speed.

Even though for the most part I liked the movie, the movie seemed really long to me because I got confused on the concept of time. I know he made the bet to be there in only like three days but those days kinda ran into each other and I kept losing track of what day it was. Also, there were very little night shots, so it seemed like the days dragged on.

I thought it was interesting how we talked in class about him driving for some sort of freedom. That his driving fast would make him feel like he was almost free. Except for the fact that they kept showing shots of speed limit signs or stop signs that show that no matter what he really isn't free.

All I have to say about Super Soul is that he's funny; crazy, but funny.

As for the ending I was a little disappointed it ended that way. Like someone said in class, it wouldn't have been right or interesting if he just would have showed up then have been arrested. What would have been the fun in that? Although, I found myself routing for him and wish it would have ended differentely. I kept thinking that even though the car crashed, that he would have like jumped out before the car hit and you would see him running through the field or something. It seemed he was almost giving up somehow and throughout the whole movie all he tried to do was get there and go fast doing it.

4 comments:

  1. I also wondered why there weren’t more shots of Kowalski driving at night. I thought it might be reflective of his speed induced mind, which keeps going at the same pace, fast, allowing for the days and nights to blend together as one. Driving long road trips on the highway, you lose any concept of time if you aren’t looking at the clock. Showing night shots would have broken this pace, and the momentum of that fast pace forward push would have been hard to regain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you that as the audience we really wanted to see Kowalski do something more, than break the speed limit, to be hounded down and chased by the cops. In moral society, we are told that the cops are the good guys trying to stop the evil acts of the bad guys. As the audience, it was hard for us to formulate who was the good guy and who was the bad guy, especially when Kowalski seemed like such a great guy (who cared by stopping to see if the people he ran off of the road were hurt). Instead, it was all very grey.

    On another note, I did not see Kowalski's death as being a means of giving up but rather the ultimate freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffrey's point about there being no night shots is interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Like the mismatch between beginning and end, and the black and white car freeze frame at the beginning, it's part of what's mildly surreal about this movie.

    Again Julie, I'd like to see you spend more time with your confusion--not so you get over it, but rather so you get into it a little more, because it causes you to ask good questions--such as why is a moral, good man like Kowalski, driving like that? And why do the police treat him as if he's such a bad guy they have to stop him by killing him if necessary, even though all he is doing is speeding and delivering a car he hasn't even stolen? Consider what the movie is saying about the time period it was made in, and larger social problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohwait, that wasn't Jeffrey, but sms. nevermind.

    ReplyDelete